This past Saturday, we attended a workshop at the Gladney Center. The 3 hour program explored topics such as: bonding, child development, understanding medical referrals and how to travel home on a 21 hour flight. We learned more than we could have imagined and explored advice that we know will help equip us for this future transition. Todd and I are both so impressed with the care and support Gladney provides adopting families.
We sat at a table with a couple adopting from Russia and a woman who is adopting from China. These families have been waiting for some time now to bring their babies home due to processing delays. We felt sort of guilty when we explained that we could have a referral in as little as 6 months.
Today I learned that a young boy who visited Fort Worth, TX during Bright Future Camp will be attending the school where I work. This young boy is from Ethiopia and I can't wait to hear his story and meet him! The ironic part is that his story was posted on the Gladney webpage for a while and it happened to be the first story I stumbled upon when first considering adoption.
Our formal Gladney application should arrive any day now and we are sending off our 1600A for approval as well. One step closer to our home study and answering a million questions - one of which is, "what would you change about your spouse." Todd and I are carefully considering how to answer that question with the least amount of sarcasm as possible.
We are exicted to embark on this journey together and we are so thankful we have friends and family who have been so supportive. Thanks for sharing this journey with us.
"You will, in adopting this child, make the child your own. Your life will swerve to meet the child's - growing in tandem together." M.F. Greene
Tuesday, August 21, 2007
And, we're off....
Posted by renee treat at 4:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hi, Just found your blog...I look forward to following your journey. I remember my husband and I thinking the same thing about some of the questions (-:
Hey fam. Liking the blog so far. Of course, we would prefer you take one of our kids, but whatever. By the way, we voted for Quinn because of the initials Q.T. Smooth!
Thanks for allowing us to be a part of your journey through the blog!
I know the paperwork and all the questions can seem overwhelming. I think back to those evenings we spent going over questions and discussing our answers. They were rich conversations - I hope they will be for you as well.
We are so excited about this adventure you are taking to become parents! I smile every time I think about it!
Post a Comment