We tasted, we tested and we survived! For those of you who know Todd, you understand me when I say that eating authentic Ethiopian food is quite an undertaking. Todd fully believes that meat and potatoes are the only 2 food groups that exist - needless to say this was way out of his comfort zone. Friday night we (Todd, myself and his parents) drove to Addison to eat at the Queen of Sheba. The people, the atmosphere and cuisine gave us an insightful glance at a culture we will experience soon.
Our food arrived on one large dish that we were to all share. I started thinking about American culture, about the holidays and I found this concept to be quite refreshing. At an American table, everyone has their own plate, their own utensils, we grab our portions and immediately scarf our food down. I have to say that the Ethiopian table seemed so different; it reminded me what a sacred experience mealtime could and perhaps should be. There is something symbolic about sharing food, sharing a plate, ordering together, passing injera around the table - it was as if we were summoned to slow down, look at those around the table and experience the food as opposed to merely consume. During this holiday season, I am reminded that less is more, the world is not about things, and that just because my culture tells me to buy, consume and hoard, doesn't mean I have to listen. In the words of Fred Rogers I have learned, "That which is essential is invisible." Somewhere tonight sleeps a little man four or five years of age and I hope that I remain cognizant when removing him from an impoverished life that I don't remove him from an impoverished sense of self. I have a feeling we'll do a lot of learning when we take in this little guy.
"You will, in adopting this child, make the child your own. Your life will swerve to meet the child's - growing in tandem together." M.F. Greene
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Queen of Sheba
Our Menu:
Yedoro Tibse Cubes of chicken, sauteed in spicy wine & butter
ZIGNI WOTT Small chunks of beef, in a spicy pepper sauce.
Posted by renee treat at 5:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
We loved our experience at our local Ethiopian restaurant too!
Post a Comment