CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
"You will, in adopting this child, make the child your own. Your life will swerve to meet the child's - growing in tandem together." M.F. Greene

Friday, January 11, 2008

Samuel Quinn




Well it looks as though we have a name folks and that Todd and I have actually agreed on something for the first time in our marriage....(yes I am kidding)...

My new friend Debbie, who is adopting Kuri, said that this "wait time" is by far even more difficult because you know your child is out there but you can't do anything about it. I would agree that the waiting does seem more intense these days. I find myself asking all sorts of questions:
What will he be like?
How will he respond to us?
How much will he understand about the transition?
Are my maternal instincts going to kick in when I get there?

We wrote Samuel a letter this week so that he could become acquainted with who we are. I must admit, writing a letter to a 6 year old (yes I said 6 and I'll address that later) is far more difficult than writing to an adult! The process must have taken me an hour, after I deleted every previous attempt. Such pressure - trying to win the heart of a young little man!

This week we also found out that Samuel is indeed 6. The doctor thought he was 5 but his mother confirmed that his birthday is actually November 13, 1994. For those of you gasping right now, please realize Ethiopia just celebrated the milinium and therefore Samuel is not a teenager! It is a different world for sure!

In the meantime, we are trying to keep busy so that our anxiety does not get the best of us. We are completing our education credits, preparing his room, gathering items for humanitarian aid, checking out kindergarten procedures, and of course dreaming about our little boy.

I'm hoping for a speedy court and travel date - but the logical part of me anticipates that it will be late Feb. or early March before we can bring him home.

All is well in the Treat household...

6 comments:

Crazy Thorne's said...

I am so excited for you. Six is an incredible age. You are going to have a blast! Keep us updated! Blessings, Pam

Jim and Debbie said...

Love the name!! So glad you decided to keep Samuel as it seems to fit him. I'm sure he will love you guys instantly (We think you're pretty wonderful and we haven't known you long).
Praying with you for a quick court date and smooth transition,
Debbie

Natalie Fournet said...

My son is almost 6 and is so fun. I am so excited for you and Samuel. I pray you get to be with him soon! Natalie

Kristy -Mom To 9 Blessings said...

Yipppeeee!
How exciting!
MY Samuel is also 6 years old...just turned 6 in December!
You couldn't have picked a better name! :-)
Blessings,
Kristy

Drew Carey Show said...

Love the name! He really is a gorgeous child. You guys are all so blessed to have each other. What a gift.

Adoption Cubed said...

Hmm, a boy named Samuel who is 6 years old. I think I like it! Surely "God heard" and has formed this family. Keep us posted and let us know if we can be of help. We are so happy for all three of you.