Because today is Saturday and it is technically the afternoon in Ethiopia, I'm not going to count it in today's countdown. By my estimate, that only leaves us with 3 real days before we should be hearing something about our court date. With any luck, Mary will call with wonderful news sometime early Wed. morning, and I'll log on to find that our adoption friends, The Albertsons, have also passed through court. Even though the Albertsons root for the wrong team in basketball, I'd love to see a victory sweep for all those with court dates on the 26th.
We all know that court dates are tricky and many do not pass the first time...here's hoping we'll be the anomaly and sail through without any glitches!
We've started our "preliminary" packing and I've realized that it is indeed hard to pack for 3 people and take a lot of humanitarian aid with just 4 suitcases! I was told by my dear husband that I had packed way too many clothes for Samuel. (By the way my husband cannot pack to save his life! He always takes way too many things and takes more bags than necessary) So you can see the irony here....Todd telling me I've packed too much?
The problem is that we don't know what will fit Samuel, and for once I'd like to see him in some clothes that aren't 10 sizes too big. We have a lot of clothes that I think will be too small and a lot of clothes that are 1 size too big. So, what's a girl to do? Let's just pack them all and see what works...
I'm also beginning to get very nervous about how we will entertain Samuel. I have this fear that he is going to be thinking, in Amharic of course, "These Americans are so boring. Don't they have any fun toys in that suitcase?" Well, at least he'll be speaking Amharic and I won't get my feelings hurt by his inner thoughts...
In the meantime, we're searching for the perfect toys - toys that entertain for hours but also travel nicely. If you have any suggestions, believe me we'd love to hear them. I can't have my son thinking we're duds!
"You will, in adopting this child, make the child your own. Your life will swerve to meet the child's - growing in tandem together." M.F. Greene
Saturday, March 22, 2008
Getting Closer...
Posted by renee treat at 8:40 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Oh, that was a good chuckle! I can see you and Todd having your discussions over your luggage! If you master the science of packing, let us know! As far as toys that entertain and travel well...When I think of you two I think of games. You should definitely pack a small game to play with Samuel. I also think of coloring books, sticker books (they have some first word ones that might be helpful with learning English), play-doh (?).
Rebecca
Okay, 5 years old. Boy. I have a girl, but here is what I am taking for her..
Coloring stuff and stickers.
Beading stuff.
Books on tape (MP3)
My laptop and a few disney movies
(I know he doesn't know English, but the above 2 could be really good, especially if you get books to look at while listening to them on the headphones, and movies with animals like Madagascar, Finding Nemo, or Milo and Otis.)
Legos for a boy seem really good.
A small matching card game (like Memory).
I am planning on wrapping up these small toys for Abigail and allowing her to unwrap one every so often. That way, she always has something to look forward to!
Just cruise the toy aisle at W@lm@art- maybe little action figures or something?
HTH! and good luck at court!
So sorry your team lost today. No really, I actually am sorry, because it stinks when the ACC doesn't prevail, so that's a real, sincere, "sorry" (along with an inner chuckle:).
But maybe it's a sign... since both of our teams seem to be recent losers, that might mean that in court we'll both be WINNERS! Do you see that I'm clinging to any sign of hope right now??? :)
Hope your souls are peaceful tonight and over the coming days as we await some news on our boys. Praying!!!
take care!
becca
Well, if we pass court, too, maybe we will travel together. Then our kids can help entertain dear Samuel. We are bringing our 3 bio kids, ages 11, 10 and 8 and with the two adopted, age 4, there will be plenty of entertainment. So for your sake, hope our court passes (yeah, for my sake, too!).
You can never go wrong with Legos. They will entertain any little boy or girl for quite the long time. They are great on the plane too. I typically hate plastic, but Legos are an exception. They promote visual-motor development, abstract thinking, taking whole-to-part and part-to-whole, planning, and then some.
Hey. We are thinking about you guys. Not a day has passed where we have not mentioned your names and hoped for good news tomorrow. May this day pass quickly and may you both get some sleep tonight.
Rebecca
Sending thoughts and prayers for a successful court day tomorrow!
Dauray
PRAYING for you guys!!!! :) Cannot wait to hear of your successful court news! ~Shelly
Forgot to mention my favorite "busy-traveling" activity for young kids. Pipe cleaners! They come in fun colors and VERY light weight and you can entertain for a long time with them! Trust me! :) You can make letters, link them all together ... great fun. You can get plastic beads also to string and make fun designs. ~Shelly
I'm praying for great news for you in the morning!
It will be great to see sweet Samuel again without all of the artistic additions! :-)
Blessings,
Kristy
Post a Comment